Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Books to Read: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and...

I'm trying to get back into reading.

I know, this is a book/ culture blog, and here I am fighting ADD and trying to read again. I'm such a poser (there's a reason why I talk so much about children's literature). Somewhere in grad school I lost the will to persevere, and my attention span just up and died.

That's one reason why I started this blog: to return to my former loves. In the interest of this goal, I decided on the lame wedding phrase, something old etc., as a way to pick four books.

Something Old: The Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti. This is a narrative poem written during 19th century England that I've been meaning to read for ages. (This picture is for a musical setting, but I couldn't pass it up).



Something New: Telegraph Avenue, by Michael Chobin. I just learned about this novel today. It was published in 2012, and I've never heard of the author, so it fits the bill of "something new." It got raving reviews from regular readers and critics alike, and it's been called "The Middlemarch of Northern California." Since Middlemarch is my favorite novel ever and I'm a total George Eliot fan girl, I can't resist. Here's the amazon page.

Something Borrowed: my husband read the popular Eragon series and has been pestering me to read it for years. I finally gave in, but he recommended I start with the third book for various reasons. Therefore I'm starting the "borrowed" Brisingr.

Something Blue: yeah, I gave up. Everything I found was hokey, so I decided instead to read:
The Far Traveler: Voyages of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown (hey, it's got the ocean right?). I like swashbuckling adventure novels and strong female protagonists, so this has promise. And it can't be as kooky as this:

Still better than The Alligator People

Any recommendations, gentle readers? 






No comments:

Post a Comment